Smash Fight Genesis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SSB4's newest community.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nightmare Genesis

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 1:30 am

Introduction:
Punch and Kick Buttons:
Grab Button:
Special and Toggle Buttons:
Taunt Button and Special Abilities:
Health, Damage, and Type System:
Engine:
Intro to Meter:
Nightmare Mode:
Game Modes:
Character Roster and Final Summarization:
There is room for refinement, of course, and the story is still to become written word. Tell me what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 1:43 am

bfhewbwehfnwkj

Alright so, I've looked over this.

I'll be shooting an input in a few days.
Back to top Go down
https://smashfightgenesis.forumotion.com
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:56 am

I see elements of MvC and Street Fighter x Tekken here.
The Nightmare Mode seems to mimic Pandora mode from SFxT.
Honestly, that seems really good. I don't see the 'jump in and play' aspect that we discussed, but it seems like a game that would be very difficult to master, and difficult to play at all.
I roster that small is a good idea for an initial game, and the game me and my mates are organizing is following a 16 character limit as well.

From what I see, there are 4 attack buttons (5 if you count Toggle). How are 'Specials' to be executed (eg Hadouken, Kikouken)? A swish of the movement buttons would be hard to accomplish. Trust me, I've tried.
Back to top Go down
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:32 pm

The normal buttons are supposed chain together like Tekken moves, but because of the 2D environment, it, in theory, should work like a slightly modified Street Fighter layout. As for the special moves and the the grab button, those are entirely inspired by Smash Bros. in both design and execution (as well as the execution of normal moves). The toggle button is only there because of the lack of proper Light, Medium, and Heavy attack buttons and to facilitate multiple versions of the same special move, like in Street Fighter. If I were to sum up the control style, it would be a Street Fighter foundation with heavy Smash overtones. In Nightmare Mode, the combo system would be extended to one found in the original MvC.
Nightmare Mode is actually not at all inspired by Pandora. Pandora Mode is a timed upgrade with infinite meter that ends the match in 8 seconds or less. Nightmare Mode sacrifices all meter upon losing a round to grant the player full access to the game's engine, plus some strengths and weaknesses.
The hope is that it's supposed to be easy to pick up, depending on if it's executed properly.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 7:02 pm

You'll be pleased to know, from what I've concluded (and this will be beneficial to you guys and myself):

Now in theory this looks good on paper, but I'm already wondering how it would work out when all the pieces are put together.
I like that you're trying to keep it simple so that people may not be at all discouraged to try out the game (got to keep those guys interested and not button mashn' haha).

With my application to visualization, I can see this being played out in a successful fashion.

Button layout in my head >

ABC > Punch Kick Grab
DEF > Projectile Toggle Taunt

At least, I would imagine that would be a clean setup.

I hold my index, middle and ring finger on ABC and my thumb on D.
I'm pretty versatile so I can flip down and up again when the time comes to it, but I need your feedback on that setup.

There's something I'd like to take time in informing you about, but it would require another post which I'm making at this time.
Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Wait, to do a successful combo in most fighting games, you must do a combination of light-medium-heavy attacks. In this game, the toggle button will be clicked very wildly, which isn't very good. Cycling like light-medium-light-heavy-medium won't be easy, and that itself will require 8 clicks. 8 clicks for one combo.
The toggle button is going to be hard to use in combos.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 2:48 am

SomebodyUDon'tKnow wrote:
Wait, to do a successful combo in most fighting games, you must do a combination of light-medium-heavy attacks. In this game, the toggle button will be clicked very wildly, which isn't very good. Cycling like light-medium-light-heavy-medium won't be easy, and that itself will require 8 clicks. 8 clicks for one combo.
The toggle button is going to be hard to use in combos.
Well, that's part of what I'm going to discuss about.

A bit of some other stuff too down the road.
Back to top Go down
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 11:42 am

Morph Boy wrote:
The Toggle button is used to “toggle” which version of the special is used.
As the quote says, the toggle button does not affect normal attacks. It only affects the special moves (and some supers and counters, depending on the character), never the normal attacks. To put it simply (I don't know how I failed to post the connection), think of the attack button in Smash Bros, but split up into two buttons. That's why I called Medium attacks "tilts" and Heavy attacks "smashes." Sorry for not clarifying.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 am

Posting from school to inform you I'm prepping up a few proposals and some clarification to a few things you've mentioned will be met a little later today.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 10:47 am

Alright, this is going to be divided in a total of three posts.

My first post right after this one will discuss the clarifications of a few matters.
The second post will discuss improvements that I see fit to a lot of the ideas presented in the OP.
The third post will be any last revisions, final comments and a personal grade (yeah, personal grade seems a bit necessary imo) which will be out of 10 like they do in Game Informer and whatnot.

More to come later.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Sorry Morph, but I'm sending it in today because of this hurricane that's going to hit in two days.
Back to top Go down
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Ok, that's cool.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 5:01 am

Red wrote:
Whelp, that was slightly delayed.

I'll make this rather quick:

The combination of application of DoA and Tekken are good examples, but I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing how it would appeal to a 2D perspective or environment, so to speak. There was a part I happened to be reading over where I thought you somehow implied that Tekken had a so called linking system. The linking system you're thinking of is not a literal linking system since it only has one minor rule or justification;

For example, Street Fighter and KoF are highly compared to one another because of linking, but since Street Fighter is the base fundamental for traditional fighting games, it doesn't include anything that would make it dynamically exceed that or excessively exceed that as well. The point being slightly tweaked, I'm trying to say that they both involve making open hitboxes viable by using links.

These "links" are moves used to make opportunity for other moves to be used, hence the term linking.

King of Fighters relies slightly more on weak links than Street Fighter, but Street Fighter has links following something like L > M > H rather than KoF that has like, A (lp) > A > A > A > or C (lk) > C > C > C and so forth.

The application and comparison of the two are probably my best example of what I found slightly inaccurate with what you were intending to go with.

Now with Tekken, this is the same case, however combos are legitimately extended on what moves you use in coordination with which.

Earlier Tekken games had short, quick and highly effective combos which deemed itself a bit overpowered for its own stability, hence why they created the bound and aerial combo (juggle) system opposed to what DoA's route took.

Overall, it balanced the aspect of the game; however the law of Tekken applies that of KoF and Street Fighter, however interviewers and even the producer, Harada, have mentioned that SF is probably the biggest influence to the series alone.

Second post is coming a bit soon.

Just re-posting.
Back to top Go down
Reshi123
Traveler
Reshi123

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 5:24 pm

hmm that is very interesting red
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Reshi123 wrote:
hmm that is very interesting red
Well, I don't just sit around playing fighting games without doing some research first, lol.

I wish I could make a living out of it, though...
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Going to wrap this up in the next few hours.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 11:43 pm

FUCKING CHROME ADSDADADASDASDASDSADSADSADSADSADSASADSASADASDSDASDA

Going to hurry up and redo all of my points.

THERE WILL BE A PART TWO ON ACCOUNT OF MY SILLY CASUALTIES.

2nd POST: PART 1 ~

IMPROVEMENTS.

~ I see that as well as the ideas may be, their isn't much focus wrapped around them to combine into one solo aspect.
The way most fighters work, is that they combine certain aspects of mechanics to flow with the essential gameplay.

For my best example, we'll dip a bit into Tekken's performance on account that I'm a frequent Tag 2 player.

The success behind Tekken's performance (gameplay aspects) relies on three important factors:

3D Enviroment
Motion Depth
Attack Buttons

All three of these factors contribute to the depth of the game, including the mass amount of inputs available.
For the last two, I'm willing to list the tools we, the players work with.

Walk, Backup, Sidestep (Left), Sidestep(Right), Jumpback (Double Tap Back), Run (Double Tap Forward), Sidetep Followup Walk, Special Step, Crouch (ext forward and backward) and Jump.

All of these motions contribute to the attacks in the game.

Now for our attack buttons, you have
1, 2, 3, 4. (Low Punch, Heavy Punch, Low Kick, Heavy Kick)

You have inputs that follow up based on tapping the same button twice and then another. Usually, the buttons change to give characters another option of mixup or variety to a particular command, giving a different ending each time. This contributes to the metagame on account of blocking which is also different than traditional fighting games.

*Authors note: You elaborated on some motion coordination to attacks, but I can't seriously put my mind in the right place without some hypothetical gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Literally finishing this up right now.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 2:29 pm

I've literally decided to make this a series of posts rather than just a part 2.

Expect a live update, 12 AM ET.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 1:34 am

Postponed for another hour.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 2:20 am

Uh, going to sum up the other issues, I'm running out of time today.

On the subject of grabs being useful, if they're used by grapplers, it would provide new issues for us to sort out with.

I'm making something to potentially bring the ideas together into something idealistically solid.
Nothing too complicated, but enough to make the case come out clear.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 12:04 am

Alright, revising some stuff.

Please be patient.
Back to top Go down
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 1:42 am

Take your time. I'm in no hurry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nightmare Genesis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nightmare Genesis   Nightmare Genesis I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nightmare Genesis
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Smash Fight Genesis :: Game Discussion :: Suggestions-
Jump to: