Smash Fight Genesis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SSB4's newest community.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Game Has Turned

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

The Game Has Turned Empty
PostSubject: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 12:44 am

The game has taken a turn into another direction, that isn't arguable, but with that I think that we need a new character list.
Yes, characters that originated in video games only.No anime, tv show or movie originating characters.
I think that, when it comes out, we could take a few elements and ideas from Project X Zone.
I suggest that we have less series represented as playable characters, but more playable representatives from those series.

I think that we should have around 7-10 series with multiple playable characters, while we have 3-5 with only one playable character.

But we should chuck another turn, like almost that is happening, and focus less on character to focus more on gameplay and story. Chuck an SSB4 (actual one).

Last edited by Shih-Na on Tue May 08, 2012 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Made a mistake.)
Back to top Go down
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:27 am

...interesting notion.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 6:07 pm

That is an interesting notion.

I'm willing to be all ears from here on out SUDK so if you have any examples of reasonable notion, shoot here or in a Private Message convo.

Back to top Go down
https://smashfightgenesis.forumotion.com
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Actually, I'd prefer if I were included in the conversation as well. I cannot do much for the next two weeks (be on the look out for a post, you'll know the one), but I still want to be involved in this crucial process.
Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 8:10 pm

I have no major ideas as of yet, but just that basis there.
Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 10:10 pm

So, the series should be...?
Maybe reps of a few different companies.
Back to top Go down
LegendaryNoob
Shop Keeper
LegendaryNoob

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 2:32 am

Shih-Na wrote:
So, the series should be...?
Maybe reps of a few different companies.
For now, allowing a few companies for the demo should be viable.
As in, 1 from Nintendo, 1 from Capcom, 1 from Konami, etc.
Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:58 am

Yes. I thought, let's not make clones. Let's not add Mario AND Luigi, unless they are very different, not like in Brawl. Each character should BE different, not just LOOK different.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 8:50 pm

So essentially, you want more diversity and more series representation (character wise)?
Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 2:11 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 3:44 pm

I was drafting a new look, but I want your opinion on the usage of the description, "clone" SUDK. Once I know what your impression of that is, I'll share mine.
Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:19 am

A 'clone' is a character that either:
1. Has all (or at least mostly) moves that another character has, OR
2. Two characters have the same attack range and power for their moves.

Mario and Luigi were clones following number one.
Number 2 hasn't been used much. Basically Ken and Ryu from Street Fighter I.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 11:20 am

At least I. Understand what you meant specifically....

But then again, the usage of clones are pretty popular if done correctly.
For example, when Project M made modifications to the cast of the Star Fox series, they reverted Fox to the more techy and quick character, made Falco the destructive and high-flying punisher, and they made Wolf the floaty, moon jumping savage.

The moves that each share were modified so:

Neutral B: Fox can fire multiple repition shots... as well as shffl (short hop fast fall laser) approach and position. While Falco can fo this and stun with his lasers, Fox's do not cause hitstun and are simply quick shots. Wolf on the otherhand can do this method to, but his shot is the slowest of the three. This makees it an excellent move for jab resets, as well as a gimping tool to the other foes.

(Sorry if I use a lot of Smash terms, such as gimp kill and jab resets, I'm pretty sure they have a page about it on the smashwiki)

Side B: Fox's illusion is the best in terms for recovery uses; it travels the farthest and feels pretty good if your launched pretty far. Falco travels in the same horizontal direction as Fox, but his distance is cut by at least a third of his. However, while Falco may have that con, his phantasm meteor smashes the given foe under or beside him, sometimes slightly. above him, even. Wolf probably has the weirdest one, considering it travels diagonally up and has a sweet spot around the last few frames of his claw which does critical damage. I believe the move could also meteor smash too, but I didn't experiment much with that.

Up B: Their general recovery moves; Fox has the best for recovery, no doubt, with Wolf following a close second. Falco's travels the shortest in distance, so his placement comes last... but that doesn't stop there. While Fox's up special is kind of a weat hitter, Falco's can be used as an air combo killing move with a significant amount of damage dealt to the opponent. Wolf, unlike the other to can use his reocvery move to simply push them offstage for a very easy kill when they are at high %/ have low stage traction.

Down B: All of their down b's are jump cancelable. Each of them are very unique in the way they hit the opponent. Fox has the most standard reflector, does decent damage. The angle it strikes the opponent is a 45 degree angle [i]down[/]. This simply means that if the opponent is already on the stage with Fox, it'll hit them in a straight plane until it is used offstage. This benefits his gimp kill methods. Falco and Wolf have the reflectors with the more solid hits. While Wolf's reflector has the highest reflecting priority of the three, this really doesn't matter in most cases. Falco is given a complete 90 degree angle set up, which benefits his spiking/air combo game, while Wolf is given a 45 degree angle up, which sets up for the majority of his aerials or for heavier characters, the means to open up a jab reset with his slow approaching laser ( I don't know if this was mentioned at all, but the dagger hitbox they gave it in brawl is retained in Project M).

Weight Class Comparison (lightest to heaviest):

-Wolf
-Fox
-Falco

Though ironically, Falco has the highest jump.

I hope that further distinguishes the entire clone shendig I have. The reason I chose the characters in the first place is due to the amount of effort put into each of them for being somewhat similar to each other, but proven very different and rewarding characters to use.

What I was trying to mention with inclusion of more characters from the series repped is that there are sometimes those particular situations where you can avoid entirely the creation of a clone, moveset wise. But as long as they have enough qualities to distinguish nd make themselves entirely different from each other too, it really doesn't matter. As far as the character revamping goes, it might also affect the flow of the storyline too. Though however, I can mention one thing about it; expect more villains.
Back to top Go down
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Just speaking up: Wolf's Side Special IS able to Meteor Smash if the sweetspot of the attack connects. I've tested this.
And to me, clones aren't all that bad. Lucas is different enough from Ness to make him feel different; the same goes for Ganondork and C. Falcon (though I prefer the Captain).
Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:49 am

That's a good point, but I think it'd be better with more differences. Little tidbits in the description of a move isn't enough to separate them. The moves have to feel, and physically look different. That Fox/Falco/Wolf thing is a good point, but they are still hardcore clones of each other.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 1:12 am

Shih-Na wrote:
That's a good point, but I think it'd be better with more differences. Little tidbits in the description of a move isn't enough to separate them. The moves have to feel, and physically look different. That Fox/Falco/Wolf thing is a good point, but they are still hardcore clones of each other.
They do feel physically different though. And if they were hardcore, they wouldn't have different combo set ups.
Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 3:56 am

But to a newcomer, they'd feel like the same character in a different skin.
I want something that would feel different to both veterans and newcomers when dealing with 'clones'.
Back to top Go down
Red
Admin
Red

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Shih-Na wrote:
But to a newcomer, they'd feel like the same character in a different skin.
I want something that would feel different to both veterans and newcomers when dealing with 'clones'.
Then it's simply the newcomer's fault for assuming based on aesthetics rather than physics prior to mechanics.

I'm not saying I disagree with your perspective, but that's kind of a one-way viewing plane. I can adjust to perhaps benefit both sides of the plane, but I was just bringing up that this type of thing is popular in fighting games if done correctly.

Back to top Go down
SomebodyUDon'tKnow
Shop Keeper
SomebodyUDon'tKnow

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 2:05 am

I understand that, too. But the two way perspective thing is what I'm getting at. Newcomers and veterans feel like they're playing as different characters. Mario and Luigi, they are ALMOST at that line.
Back to top Go down
Morph Boy
Shop Keeper
Morph Boy

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:06 am

Shih-Na wrote:
I understand that, too. But the two way perspective thing is what I'm getting at. Newcomers and veterans feel like they're playing as different characters. Mario and Luigi, they are ALMOST at that line.
But, as the series has progressed, even people new to the game realize that Luigi has become almost completely seperate from Mario. His normals have been altered, his special moves revamped, and even Mario has changed a bit to further the gap. They might've been super-similar in Melee, but Brawl really made the two different from each other.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Game Has Turned   The Game Has Turned I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Game Has Turned
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Smash Fight Genesis :: Game Discussion :: Character Discussion-
Jump to: